Grandpa West

Posted by Paul and Jenny Stoker

This was a long hard week for me, my family and my extended family in Arizona.
 
I received a text message from my dad on July 15th, asking me if anyone had told me what was going on with my grandpa. I had no idea what he was talking about.
 
A few days later I found myself holding my grandfathers hand and listening as the doctor told my mom that the treatments were not working and that it was time to call the family together to say goodbye.
 
It was all very unreal and still feels that way. How can one of the strongest people I have ever known be gone? When my grandmother passed away when I was seventeen, we all knew it was coming we had a lot of time to prepare. But my grandpa slipped away so fast I felt a bit cheated.
 
I will continue to remember this great man, though. He lived an amazing life and did some amazing things. He was a cowboy (one of the last true ones), rancher, firefighter, husband, father and a good friend.
 
I will remember riding to the mountains with him, while listening to him tell stories from his childhood and sing his old cowboy songs. I will remember eating ice cream at his home on Sunday evenings. I will remember how he loved to tell me about me being his fathers birthday present and how amazed we were when I had a child on the same day.
 
I love you and will miss you Grandpa.
 
 
 
 
 


0 comments: